« Home | Bacon, Vodka and a Church at midnight » | Procrastination » | Well Hung in the bedroom » | Cafe » | Squeezebox / Last.FM geekness » | Blogs, phones and drink. » | 350z »

Dressing like a knob


flickr photo
Originally uploaded by tumbleweed1979.
There's rarely anything less about than fancy dress.

Although the frequency has considerably dropped since Uni, there is still the occasional fancy dress party to attend. I've always been slightly miffed by the thought, but now it only happens once, maybe twice a year, it ain't so bad.

I think the reason I used to be so against it, was it would usually cost £50 to hire something that looked so far removed from what ever you were supposed to be, or you would have to spend days on end, shuffling around charity shops trying on dead man's clothes as the old lady snarled at you across the counter as if you were about to rob the place.

These days, we have ebay. So, with very little effort, it's possible to knock up costume in less than 1/2hr. That I can deal with. You can literally pay people to do all the charity shop work for you. My seller for the jacket I bought of ebay for £35, actually left the £5.00 label from PDSA on the sleeve, blatently showing off that I'd paid over the odds for my laziness. Ironically, it did cost £5 to put it in the cloakroom.

The place where dressing like a bellend is apparently the door policy was Carwash in Old Street. I had a look at the dresscode before going and realized that it must be run by lesbians, or simply written by someone who had started to see just how shite fake afro wigs are. Here's an example:

This is what's allowed and positively encouraged:

Glitter, Sequin & Feathers
Hot Pants
Platforms
Bikini Glam
College Cheer Leaders
Hats

This is what's discouraged by the friendly door staff:

Checked shirts
Elvis Suits
Fake Facial Hair
Ben Sherman
Stupid Fake Afro Wigs
Sports Trainers
Brogues

In other words, 'Chaps, we're gonna make it pretty damn impossible to pull anything off'.

Anyway, that aside, it was a wicked night and I generally shocked myself that it is actually possible to enjoy music that's over 10 years old. Most people did look like a penis, but keep it ebay, borrow a tie, and all is good. I can't wait for Techno to be retro.

You've come a long way mate! This is what happens as you get older, you stop caring about stuff you used to care about so much.

I'm still suffering from a passionate hate of any music you can dance to that was made before 1992. I'm with you on not being able to wait until "techno is retro" because I'll be up on stage with the whipper-snappers throwing shapes like they were coming back into fashion.

I'm right in the middle of organising new years eve. The best night out of the year!

Post a Comment

Latest Tracks

tumbleweed1979's Profile Page

Latest Flickr


This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from tumbleweed1979. Make your own badge here.

Links

Twitter Activity

Counter

It's expected that this free tracker may not be able to cope with the large amount of traffic that this site invariably generates each day.